HLTAID004 Provide an Emergency First Aid Response in an Education and Care Setting
This course is tailored specifically for support staff and educators working within an education and care setting with young children. It covers all the common and life threatening aspects of First Aid someone might provide working with children. Including in assisting with asthma and anaphylactic emergencies. Starting at 10am this course is finished by 4.30pm. This certificate is attained by the next business day and is valid for 3 years from issue. It also covers HLTAID003 Provide First Aid if you need that as well. It is also nationally recognised.
Description: This course teaches the skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response to infants, children and adults. Applies to educators and support staff working within an education and care setting who are required to respond to a first aid emergency, including asthmatic and anaphylactic emergencies.
This unit of competency has been approved by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) and meets the requirements of first aid, and asthma & anaphylaxis. The unit also includes CPR.
Learners Rights, Responsibilities and Support, including complaints
Please refer to the Student Handbook http://www.allenstraining.com.au/students/student-handbook.aspx
Cost: $130 per participant / Group pricing available
Refund and fee protection policy, including cooling off period – please refer to the student handbook
Payment terms – Payment for individual is upfront, group booking terms are based on agreement between client and service provider
Time: 6 hours (minimum) face-to-face training with 2 hours self paced learning. Or refresher training 6 hours (minimum) face-to-face training with some conditions such as providing a previous current certificate.
Or new online training course with 30 minute face-to-face assessment and a 6 hour self paced learning online.
Locations: Alpha Hotel Tuggeranong, 46 Rowland Rees Cresent Greenway. Or LFG Kambah 66 primmer Court Kambah.
At the successful completion of this course participants will be issued with a statement of attainment valid for 3 years*. This unit contributes to the approved first aid, anaphylaxis and asthma training in registered Children’s Services Providers.
Certificate contains the units:
- HLTAID001 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- HLTAID002 Provide Basic Emergency Life Support
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid
- HLTAID004 Provide an Emergency First Aid Response in an Education and Care Setting
*Please note that the CPR component of the training is only valid for 12 months and should be updated annually.
There are no prerequisite, entry, work-placement, licensing or certification requirements for this course.
Assessment is during the first aid course to display to the instructor that you have an suitable understanding of the procedures essential to manage a life-threatening situation. This will consist of a theory assessment and hands-on demonstrations.
Topics covered and assessments tasks
- State / Territory regulations, first aid codes of practice and workplace procedures
- Legal, workplace and community considerations
- Considerations when providing first aid
- Principles and procedures for application of first aid management of the following scenarios: Abdominal injuries, allergic reactions, anaphylaxis (including signs, symptoms and triggers and using different types of adrenaline auto injectors), asthma (including signs, symptoms and triggers and using different types of bronchodilators), basic care of a wound, bleeding control, burns, cardiac conditions – including chest pains, choking and airway obstructions, crush injuries, diabetes, dislocations, drowning, envenomation, environmental impact (including hypothermia, hyperthermia, dehydration and heat stroke), eye and ear injuries, febrile convulsions, fractures, head, neck and spinal injuries,minor skin injuries, needle stick injuries, poisoning and toxic substances, respiratory distress, seizures (including epilepsy), shock, soft tissue injuries (including sprains and strains), stroke and unconciousnesss.
- Basic anatomy and physiology
- Adult CPR: Responded to a first aid scenario and performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) (5 cycles of both compressions ad ventilations) on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor
- Child CPR: Responded to a first aid scenario and performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles both compressions and ventilations) on a child resuscitation manikin placed on a firm surface
- Infant CPR: Responded to a first aid scenario and performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles both compressions and ventilations) on an infant resuscitation manikin placed on a firm surface
- Manage infection control requirements
- Demonstrated safe manual handling techniques
- Provide a verbal report of the incident
- Respond to a number of first aid incidents
- Maintain the airway, breathing and circulation of an unconscious casualty
- Operation of an AED
- Determine principles for the assessment and movement of the sick and injured and first aid
Are there physical requirements for this course? Entry Requirements
The HLTAID competency standards require a level of physical ability to provide resuscitation and respond to an emergency situation where there may be risk to life. One requirement of the training package is that you are to be assessed as physically capable of performing uninterrupted CPR for at least 2 minutes on an adult CPR manikin placed on the floor. There can be no exceptions to these Australian Government requirements that are clearly written into the Training Package. Students who are unable to complete the physical requirements of the course cannot be deemed competent or issued with a statement of attainment, even if the qualification is a necessary part of their employment conditions.
Unique Student Idenitifier (USI)
Completing any vocational education course in Australia, it is a requirement for you to obtain and supply a USI. This is obtainable from usi.gov.au If a USI is not supplied and verified with usi.gov.au a certificate cannot be issued to you.
Student written agreement
If you are completing this course, please download the student agreement to ensure that you are aware of your rights and obligations. You can access the student written agreement by clicking here.